New regulations require that some individuals providing direct services to VR customers register with the AHCA Care Provider Background Screening Clearinghouse and submit to and pass a Level-2 background screening. Current vendors are required to comply with these requirements include:
- Certified Business Training Assistance and Consultation (CBTAC) providers
- Employment, Supported Employment and Employment Network providers
- Personal Care Assistants
- Rehabilitation Technology Providers (adaptive computer, building contractor, driver rehabilitation, and contract providers)
- Vocational Evaluators
- Work Incentive Planning and Assistance (WIPA)
Providers submitting applications for the provider types listed above will be sent instructions on how to register in the clearinghouse and get their screenings following initial approval of qualifications.
Note: Criminal history information cannot be communicated via email. Any criminal history documents re- quested by VR should be faxed or sent via USPS.
Exemption from Disqualification
In accordance with section 435.07, F.S., persons disqualified from employment may be granted an exemption from disqualification. The granting of an exemption does not change an individual’s criminal history. It only provides eligibility for employment in a Vocational Rehabilitation setting. An individual seeking an exemption must demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that an exemption from disqualification should be granted. The application will be reviewed and a decision made once all relevant documentation, listed in the Exemption Form Instructions below, has been received. A person is not eligible to apply for an Exemption from Disqualification until:
- At least three (3) years have elapsed since the applicant for exemption has completed or been lawfully released from confinement, supervision or nonmonetary condition imposed by the court for all disqualifying felonies.
- The applicant for the exemption has completed or been lawfully released from confinement, supervision or nonmonetary condition imposed by the court for all misdemeanors prohibited under any of the statutes cited in this chapter or under similar statutes of other jurisdictions.
- The applicant has paid the court-ordered amount in full for any fee, fine, fund, lien, civil judgment, application, cost of prosecution, trust or restitution as part of the judgment and sentence for any disqualifying felony or misdemeanor.
- Persons designated as sexual predators, sexual offenders or career offenders are not eligible for an Exemption from Disqualification.
Important Information about the Application for Exemption from Disqualification (PDF)
Application for Exemption from Disqualification Form (PDF)
By initiating screenings, you not only will receive email notifications once the results are available, but you will also be notified if the applicant is subsequently arrested and/or has an eligibility status change. The “Livescan Service Providers” have many locations outside of Florida with Livescan and photo capability to have the screening entered into the Clearinghouse.