About Adult Programs
VR is a federal-state program that helps people who have disabilities get or keep a job. VR is committed to helping people with disabilities find meaningful careers. The division offers access to services to attain desired job skills. Services help VR customers understand the best career options based on interests and skills under the following programs:
- Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Deafblind services address hearing loss issues in the workplace, as well as guidance and counseling on how to cope with hearing loss.
- Independent Living promotes a philosophy of independent living--including a philosophy of consumer control, peer support, self-help, self-determination, equal access, and individual and systems advocacy.
- Supported Employment is a unique employment service for individuals with the most significant disabilities who require ongoing support services to succeed in competitive employment.
- Ticket to Work is a Social Security Administration program available to Floridians. For those who qualify for social security benefits, tickets will be issued and may be taken to Employment Network participants, such as VR, who offer access to employment and rehabilitation services necessary to help a person secure and retain employment. This program is voluntary.
- Self Employment provides the opportunity for individuals with disabilities to own a business with appropriate resources and supports. Self employment is defined as working for oneself with direct control over work and with prices for products and/or services set to make a profit.